Bernedoodles are known for being friendly and intelligent dogs, but they can also be quite vocal. If your Bernedoodle is barking excessively, it can be disruptive and frustrating. There are a few things you can do to stop your Bernedoodle from barking, but it’s important to first understand why they are barking in the first place.
Why do Bernedoodles bark?
There are many reasons why a Bernedoodle might bark. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Boredom or loneliness: Bernedoodles are social creatures and they thrive on interaction. If your Bernedoodle is left alone for long periods of time, they may bark out of boredom or loneliness.
- Fear or anxiety: Bernedoodles can be sensitive dogs and they may bark if they are feeling scared or anxious. This could be due to a new person or animal in the home, loud noises, or even changes in their routine.
- Attention-seeking: Bernedoodles are smart dogs and they know how to get what they want. If your Bernedoodle barks when they want something, such as food or a walk, they are likely doing it for attention.
- Guarding behavior: Bernedoodles are naturally protective of their family and home. If they see something they perceive as a threat, they may bark to alert you.
How to stop your Bernedoodle from barking
Once you understand why your Bernedoodle is barking, you can start to develop a plan to stop the behavior. Here are a few tips:
- Provide plenty of exercise and stimulation: A tired dog is a good dog! Make sure your Bernedoodle is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation to keep them from getting bored or restless.
- Avoid leaving your Bernedoodle alone for long periods of time: If you have to leave your Bernedoodle home alone, make sure they have something to do, such as a puzzle toy or a frozen Kong filled with treats.
- Desensitize your Bernedoodle to triggers: If your Bernedoodle is barking out of fear or anxiety, you can help them to overcome their fears by gradually exposing them to the triggers in a controlled environment.
- Ignore the barking: If your Bernedoodle is barking for attention, the best way to stop the behavior is to ignore them. This may be difficult at first, but eventually your Bernedoodle will learn that barking does not get them what they want.
- Use positive reinforcement: When your Bernedoodle is quiet, be sure to praise them and give them a treat. This will help them to associate being quiet with positive things.
If you are having trouble stopping your Bernedoodle from barking, you may want to consider working with a certified dog trainer. A trainer can help you to develop a personalized plan to address the specific reasons for your Bernedoodle’s barking.
Read Some Famous F.A.Qs:
- When to spay Bernedoodles?
- Do the Mini Bernedoodles bark a lot?
- Why does my Bernedoodle sleep so much?
- How to find a mini Bernedoodle breeder?
- How often should you groom a Bernedoodle?